Divine and Naezy they are one of the biggest names out there in the Indian hip hop scene. Well if you have been living under a rock and never heard of them, I am sure you might have heard of the New upcoming movie ‘Gully Boy.’
The Movie is loosely inspired and based on Divine and Naezy which is directed by Zoya Akhtar, and the film includes the very energetic and an excellent Actor Ranveer Singh and Very Beautiful and a fantastic actress Alia Bhatt.
Who are Divine and Naezy?
Indian Hip-Hop is rising and booming as a lot of “Gully Rappers” are putting out crazy Raps with fantastic flow and great beats. They are putting out the truth faced by everyone and hardships they have suffered and how they are overcoming that factor.
Vivian Fernandes AKA Divine-
- Divine is a stage name his real name is Vivian Fernandes he grew up in the slums of Andheri; his naani(Maternal Mother) raised him
- He started rapping career in 2011 he was a part of the rap group ‘Mumbai’s Finest.’ He began his solo career in 2013 with the single ‘Yeh Mera Bombay‘ in which he displayed pride for his community while showing the wealth gap of its people
– He was also on BBC Asia, and he was the first rappers to rap in Hindi on that show.
- ‘Mere Gully Mein’ a track featuring Naezy the video for that song also made to the list of the ten best videos of 2015 according to Rolling Stone India.
- Divine has also collaborated with Nucleya a very famous Indian DJ and Raja Kumari and American-Indian Rap/ Hip-Hop Artist
- He is the first Indian artist to be launch with a video for a brand worldwide. Apple Music picked the music video of ‘Jungli Sher‘ and was released worldwide. The video was shot only using an iPhone.
Naezy The Baa Aka Naved Sheik-
- He was born bought up in chawls of Kurla Bombay’70 as he proudly shouts it out in every song that he does. His journey and obsession towards rap started at a very young age of 13!
- His first project was a DIY, that is he sang, shot and edited entirely by himself all on an iPad. The Song that gave him recognition and entrance to the limelight is called ‘Aafat’
- He started his rapping journey with a group he created in his college called Schizophrenic
- He also has a documentary which revolves around him called Bombay’70. It won Best Short Film in the Dimensions section of MAMI 2014
- He also took help from Gulzar for lyrics of ‘Mere Gully Mein’
- He has a song titled ‘Asal Hustle‘ which speaks about the the struggles faced by everyone and including him.
- Recently for the past year, he had gone into a self-discovery and was helping around with the Movie ‘Gully Boy.’ His absence in the whole year and rap scene always led to people asking about his whereabouts. He recently performed on stage after a year during the music launch of the movie ‘Gully Boy‘.
I think after knowing their life story, and what they have done and what they achieved we could not be more excited for ‘Gully Boy’ which will be showcasing how the Hip-Hop has grown in Indian.
I for sure am excited about this and can’t wait for it to be out in theatres.